The Broken Hartz mission began in direct protest to the corrupt actions of Hartz Mountain Corporation. Members of our organization experienced an issue with a Hartz flea product in mid-January 2012.
Our affiliates made a complaint to Rite Aid Corporation, the distributor who sold them the Hartz product. Despite being provided numerous factual details from the EPA and other reputable sources regarding the unsafe nature of these products, Rite Aid Corporation dismissed our affiliates’ claims. During the course of this discussion, a document from Hartz’ Resident Veterinarian, Dr. Melinda Fernyhough, was eventually submitted to our affiliate.
This 6.5-page document is filled with bold lies, including denials about the FDA-approved status of Hartz’ competitor products as well as lies about the EPA’s statements regarding their Public Advisory published in March 2010.
In response to this action, our affiliates produced a 35-page rebuttal, which was delivered to Hartz through Rite Aid Corporation. This document was broken up into the thirteen posts that make up the “Hartz Executive Summary Exposé”, found on BrokenHartz.Wordpress.com.
To date, Hartz has made no attempt to respond directly, though their intended course of action has been made quite clear.
Hartz Mountain Corporation has engaged in a campaign to infringe on the Broken Hartz servicemark in numerous arenas in an attempt to silence Broken Hartz before our mission of public education spreads too far:
- They have cybersquatted on (3) Broken Hartz domain names: BrokenHartz.com, BrokenHartz.org and BrokenHartz.net.
- They have attempted to kick us off Twitter, with a false-infringement claim. When presented with our response to these claims, Twitter dropped the matter.
- They attempted to keep us from our rightful Facebook page. We filed an infringement claim with Facebook and they sided with us.
- They not only squatted on Pinterest.com/BrokenHartzPets, they brazenly posted the Hartz Mountain Corporation trademark on the page, in a clear act of infringement on our servicemark. Immediately following our exposure of this act, Hartz scrambled to remove its trademark from the offending page, but we had all necessary documentation and Pinterest sided with us.
During the course of our mission, Hartz Mountain Corporation has committed additional fraudulent acts in order to try and offset the damage caused by our organization:
- 5W Public Relations Scandal
- Hartz Mountain Corporation violates FIFRA by lying on their website
The Broken Hartz mission began on 1/22/12, but its message of public safety has spread rapidly and gets louder every day. We will not settle for anything short of total victory. Hartz Mountain Corporation has admitted the truth through its chosen course of action.
Its days lying in wait on store shelves are coming to an end.